Professor and Director
PhD in Economics, University of California at Riverside, 1995
Room No. 203
+91 33 2321 3120/21 (Extension No. 34)
Areas of interest:
Welfare economics, microeconomic issues in development economics, human development, health economics
- Reforming Labour Markets in States: Revisiting the Futility Thesis, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.50(20), 16 May 2015.
- Revealed Allocation Priorities in the Budget, Economic and Political Weekly, 30 March 2013.
- Human Development: How not to Interpret Change, Economic and Political Weekly, 17 December 2011.
- Female Work Participation and Gender Differential in Earnings in West Bengal (jointly with Indrani Chakraborty), Journal of Quantitative Economics, Vol 8(2), July, 2010.
- Some Normatively Relevant Aspects of Inter-State and Intra-State Disparities, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol XLIV (26 & 27), pp 179-184, 2009.
- In Search of Constitutive Plurality in Development Discourse, Contemporary Issues and Ideas in Social Sciences, August, 2008.
- On the Mean of Squared Deprivation Gaps (jointly with Prasanta K. Pattanaik and Yongsheng Xu), Economic Theory, Vol 34(1), January, 2008.
- Kerala’s Changing Development Narratives, Economic and Political Weekly, February 5, 2005.
- Environmental Costs and their Impact on the Net Present Value of a Hydroelectric Project in Kerala, India (jointly with V. Santhakumar), Environment and Development Economics, Vol 8, 2003.
- Making Inter-Country Comparison of Life Expectancy Inequality Sensitive (jointly with U. S. Mishra), Social Indicators Research, Vol. 64, 2003.
Chapters in Books/Reports
- Understanding Public-Private Mix (Not ‘Partnership’) in the Social Sector in J Felix Raj, S Roy and K K Hati (eds) Indian Economy: A Visionary Perspective, New Delhi: Regal, 2015.
- From Passive Beneficiary to Rights Claimant: The Changing Face of the Capability Deprived in India, and the Primacy of Politics in Sarkar, (ed) Human Rights, Loreto College and Levant Books, 2014.
- Reckoning Inequality in Education in India, Development, Equity and Poverty: Essays in Honour of Azizur Rahman Khan, Macmillan, 2010.
- The Rhetoric of Disagreement in Reform Debates, in Jos Mooij (ed.) The Politics of Economic Reforms in India, Sage, New Delhi, 2005.
- The Irrelevance of Methodology and the Art of the Possible: Reading Sen and Hirschman, in Ananta Kumar Giri (ed.) Creative Social Research: Rethinking Theories and Methods, Lexington Books, Maryland, 2004.
- Investment Requirements for Provision of Core Services and Own-resource Generation by Panchayats in West Bengal
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty, Subrata Mukherjee, Gorky Chakraborty; Funding Agency: 4th State Finance Commission, West Bengal, Duration: 2014-15.
- Trade Unions and Collective Bargaining in Urban Labour Markets: The Case of West Bengal
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty, Subhanil Chowdhury, Zaad Mahmood; Funding Agency: ICSSR, New Delhi, Duration: 2014-15.
- Teachers Training in West Bengal: Bridging the Supply-Demand Gap
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: Department of School Education, Government of West Bengal; Duration: 2011.
- Mid-Term Appraisal of the 11th Five year Plan of Tripura
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: Planning Commission, Government of India; Duration: 2010.
- MDG-Based Poverty Reduction Strategy for West Bengal
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: UNDP and Planning Commission, India; Duration: 2009.
- Women, Work, Education, and Disparities
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, Berlin; Duration: 2008.
- Birbhum District Human Development Report
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: Development and Planning Department, Government of West Bengal; Duration: 2008.
- An Evaluation Study on Advocacy of Safe Motherhood under Community Health Care Monitoring Initiative
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: Department of Panchayats and Rural Development, Government of West Bengal; Duration: 2007.
- Allocation and Utilization of Resources for Social Sector Programmes in Purulia District
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: UNICEF, Kolkata; Duration: 2007.
- An Assessment of In-Service Teachers’ Training Programmes in Five Districts of West Bengal
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Funding Agency: State Project Office of West Bengal District Primary Education Programme; Duration2005.
- Development Economics; Poverty, Inequality and Human Development
SEMINAR/ CONFERENCE/ LECTURE
- Reckoning Inequality in Non-income Dimensions: Some Difficulties at Population Studies Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata (March 24, 2015).
- Reforming the Labour Market: Much Ado about Nothing? (Keynote address) at the Annual Conference of Bengal Economic Association (March 21, 2015).
- Inequality in the Space of Functioning and Alternative Concepts of Equity in the Two-day Seminar on Contemporary Issues in Development Economics at Rabindra Bharati University, (February 27, 2015).
- Sustainable Human Development (Keynote address) at the International Conference on Human Development and Sustainability: Challenges and Strategies for the Asian Century organised by the Asia-Pacific Branch of the International Consortium for Social Development and the Department of Social Work, Visva Bharati (January 16, 2015).
- Structural Limits to Equitable Urbanisation at the two-day conference on Sustainable Urbanization in India: Challenges and Opportunities organized by IDSK in collaboration with the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB)[January 15-16, 2015].
- Weak Equity and Revealed Allocation Priorities in India (Keynote address) at the ICSSR- UNIL (International Relations of the University of Lausanne), Switzerland Joint Seminar on Social Dynamics and Well-Being: Indian and Swiss approaches, Bengaluru (September 9-10, 2014).
- Equity and All That (Keynote address) at the Development Meet 2014 held at the Central University of Bihar, Patna, (February 21-22, 2014).
- The Financial Meltdown in US and its Repercussions at Confluence 13, the Annual Economic Summit of the Department of Economics of St Xaviers College, Kolkata (October 9, 2013).
- Human Development and Human Resource Development: Clarifying the Conceptual Muddle at the Seminar on Human Resource Development in India in the Post-Reform Period organized by the Department of Economics, Rabindra Bharati University (April 03, 2013).
- Theory and Application of Composite Indices: Will the Twain Ever Meet? at Omeo Kumar Das Institute of Social Change and Development, Guwahati, (January 10, 2013).
- Public-private mix in Education and Health, and Resource Allocation Priorities at Azim Premji University, Bangalore (August 9 , 2012).
- Social Protection Policies in South Asia at the Third Ministerial Meeting of the UNESCO Forum of Ministers in Charge of Social Development from South Asia, held in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and commissioned jointly by UNESCO and ICSSR (February 20-22, 2011).
- Inequality in Non-Income Dimensions and Resource Allocation Rules at the Annual Conference of Human Development and Capability Association at Amman, Jordan (September 21-23, 2010).
- Inequality in Non-Income Dimensions at the Conference on Employment, Growth, and Poverty Reduction in Developing Countries, in Honor of Professor Azizur Rahman Khan, University of Masschusetts at Amherst, USA (March 27-28, 2009).