PhD in Population Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 2006
Room No. 407
+91 33 2321 3120/21 (Extension No. 49)
Areas of interest:
Mortality, morbidity, nutrition, women’s reproductive health, family planning, epidemiology and public health, field survey methods, demographic estimations, econometric methods.
- Second Demographic Transition or Aspirations in Transition: An exploratory Analysis of Lowest-Low Fertility in Kolkata, India,
Asian Population Studies, Published online on 02 Aug 2016, DOI: 10.1080/17441730.2016.1203211.
- Sex Differences in the Risk Profile of Hypertension: A Cross-sectional Study,
(jointly with S., S. Mukhopadhyay and A. Barik), BMJ Open, 6: e010085/ doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010085, 2016.
- Role of Community and Context in Contraceptive Behaviour in Rural West Bengal, India: A Multilevel Multinational Approach
(jointly With Md. Z. Siddiqui) published online on April 18, 2016 in Journal of Biosocial Science DOI: 10.1017/S0021932016000080.
- Maternal Deaths in India: Can National Rural Health Mission Make a Difference?,
Indian Journal of Human Development, 8(2): 25-42, 2016.
- Influence of Son Preference on Contraceptive Method Mix: Evidences from ‘Two Bengals’
(jointly with S Begum), Asian Population Studies, 11(3): 296-311, 2015, DOI: 10.1080/17441730.2015.1093749.
- Determinants of Skilled Delivery Assistance in a Rural Population : Findings from a HDSS Site of Rural West Bengal
( jointly with Md. Z. Siddique, A. Barik and S. K. Bhaumik),Maternal Child Health Journal published online on June 30, 2015, DOI: 10.1007/s 10995-015-1768-0
- Profile: Birbhum Population Project (Birbhum HDSS) ( jointly with A. Barik, S. Majumder et al.),International Journal of Epidemiology, published online on December 23, 2014, DOI: 10.1093/ije/dyu228
- Exploring Vulnerability of Undernutrition among Wives: Do Husbands’ Attributes Matter? Journal of Health Management, 16(3): 423-439, 2014
- Spousal Violence among Women and Vulnerability to Sexually Transmitted Infections among Couples in India, Journal of Family Welfare, 59(2): 1-18, 2013.
- Health Communication and Behavioural Change: An Exploratory Study among Marginalized Communities in Rural West Bengal, India, Journal of Health Management, 15(3): 307-327.
- ‘Ultramodern Contraception’ Re-examined: Cultural Dissent or Son Preference? Asian Population Studies, DOI: 10.1080/17441730.2013/816480, published online 26 July 2013.
- Demographic and Socioeconomic Vulnerability of Urban Children in India: A Distinction between Slum and Non-slum Areas, Internationales Asienforem, 43(1-2): 47-59.
- Exploring Demographic and Socioeconomic Factors Influencing Utilization of ICDS Service (jointly with Bidhan Kanti Das), Asia Pacific Population Journal, 2011.
- Socioeconomic Risk Factors of Anemia among Pregnant Women in India, Demography India, 2011.
- Is Health Status of Elderly Worsening in India? A Comparison of Successive Rounds of National Sample Survey Data (jointly with Zakir Husain), Journal of Biosocial Science, 43(2), pp 211-231, 2011.
- Economic Independence, Family Support and Perceived Health Status of the Elderly: Recent Evidence from India (jointly with Zakir Husain), Asia Pacific Population Journal, 25(1): pp 47-77, 2010.
- Exploring Socioeconomic Vulnerabilities of Anaemia among Women of Eastern Indian States, Journal of Biosocial Science, 41(6), pp763-787, 2009.
- Exploring Safe Sex Awareness and Sexual Experiences of School- and College-Going Adolescents in Patna City, Bihar (jointly with M. Shekhar and P. Panda), Economic and Political Weekly, 42 (48): pp 56-61, 2007.
- Maternal Health Care Seeking among Tribal Adolescent Girls in Jharkhand (jointly with S. Rani and M. Sharan), Economic and Political Weekly 42 (48): pp 48-55, 2007.
- Does Economic Inequality Matter in Cases of Infectious Childhood Diseases?-An Analysis for India, Asia Pacific Population Journal, 20(1): pp 37-62, 2005.
- Does the Pattern of Causes of Death vary Across Socioeconomic Classes within a Population?-An Exploratory Analysis for India (jointly with P.M. Kulkarni), Genus, LX (2): pp 55-81, 2004.
- Spatial, Demographic and Socio-economic Correlates of Treatment-seeking Behaviour during Common Childhood Illnesses: A Case of India (jointly with Ramesh Chellan), Journal of Population, 10(1): pp 53-76, 2004.
- Demographic and Socioeconomic Correlates of Neonatal, Post-neonatal and Childhood Mortality in Uttar Pradesh, India: A Study Based on NFHS-2 Data, Journal of Health and Population in Developing Countries, Dec 6, 2003.
- Influence of Son Preference on Contraceptive Method Mix : Some Evidences from Two Bengals
(jointly with Sharifa Begum), Occasional Paper 49, Institute of Development Studies Kolkata, April 2015.
- Exploring Post-Sterilization Regret in an Underdeveloped Region of Rural West Bengal, Occasional Paper 44, Institute of Development Studies Kolkata, April 2014.
- What determines the success and failure of ‘100 days work’ at the Panchayat level? A study of Birbhum district in West Bengal (jointly with Subrata Mukherjee), Occasional Paper 16, Institute of Development Studies Kolkata, February 2009.
- Socioeconomic Profile of Patients in Kolkata: A Case Study of RG Kar Medical Collage & Hospital and AMRI (jointly with Zakir Husain and Bijoya Roy), Occasional Paper 14, Institute of Development Studies Kolkata, October 2008.
- Women and Health in West Bengal
Principal Investigator: Saswata Ghosh; Funding Agency: Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, Germany, Duration: January 2010-December 2012.
- Birbhum District Human Development Report
Principal Investigator: Achin Chakraborty; Co-principal Investigator: Subrata Mukherjee, Saswata Ghosh; Sponsoring Agency: Development and Planning Department, Government of West Bengal; Duration: 2007-2008.
- Socio-economic Profile of Patients in Kolkata: A Case Study of R.G. Kar Medical College & Hospital and AMRI
Principal Investigator: Zakir Husain; Co-principal Investigator: Saswata Ghosh, Bijoya Roy; Sponsoring Agency: Institute of Development Studies Kolkata; Duration: 2008.
- (Paper II B, MPhil Programme in Development Studies)
Field Survey Techniques
- (Paper II, MPhil Programme in Development Studies)
- (Special Paper IV B, MPhil Programme in Development Studies)
SEMINAR/ CONFERENCE/ LECTURE
- Is Health Status of Elderly Worsening in India? A Comparison of Successive Rounds of National Sample Survey Data at the Population Association of America’s 76th Annual Meeting Programme, Washington DC, USA (March 31-April 2, 2011).
- Exploring Demographic and Socioeconomic Factors Influencing Utilization of ICDS Service at the Priorities 2008, University of Newcastle, UK (October 28-31, 2008).
- What Determines Success of “100 Days Work” at the Panchayat Level: A Case of Study of Birbhum District, West Bengal at the International Conference on Employment Opportunities and Public Employment Policy in Globalizing India, Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum (April 3-5, 2008).
- Role of Economic Inequality and Social Exclusion in the Pace of Health Transition: An Exploratory Analysis for India at the 4th Biennial Conference of International Society in Equity in Health, Creating Healthy Societies through Inclusion and Equity, University of Adelaide, Australia (September 11-13, 2006).
- Indoor Air Pollution in India and Baby’s Size at Birth: Is There a Link? at the 17th Conference of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology, Johannesburg, South Africa (September 13-16, 2005).
- Does Economic Inequality Matter in Cases of Infectious Childhood Diseases?-An Analysis for India at the International Workshop on Population Dynamics and Infectious Disease in Asia, Asian MetaCentre, Singapore (October 27-29, 2004).
- Gender Differences in Treatment-seeking Behaviour during Common Childhood Illnesses in India: Does Maternal Education Matter at the 18th European Conference on Modern South Asian Studies, University of Lund, Sweden (July 6-9, 2004).
- Organized National Seminar on Burden of Diseases, Health Care Priorities and Role of State in India at India International Centre, New Delhi on behalf of the Council for Social Development (November 21-22, 2005).